Helping our members to develop their businesses overseas is one of our key priorities. To achieve this, our Overseas Promotion Committee (OPC) provides a focal point for the promotion of the UK financial and professional services industry to a global audience. We work in partnership with government to promote the sector overseas and on market access issues. HM Treasury, UKTI and TheCityUK together form the Financial Services Trade and Investment Board to identify trade and investment priorities and to support UK based firms in pursuing these vigorously across the globe.
There are several markets, including the growing BRIC economies and the Gulf Cooperation Council states, where new business potential is particularly significant. Objectives have been set with business, and dedicated working groups have been created for these countries and other priority emerging markets where events, visits and other promotional activity will benefit UK firms.
There are three key strands to our overseas promotion strategy:
- To position the UK as the partner and investment destination of choice for financial and professional services
- To promote dialogue between UK-based service providers and senior professionals in overseas markets
- To gain increased access for UK firms by working with emerging markets to develop their domestic frameworks so they can participate fully in the global economy.
This is a wide ranging remit, and includes the promotion of:
- Public Private Partnerships (PPP) to meet the global demand for infrastructure and public services
- Islamic finance - representing the UK industry internationally through the UK Islamic Finance Secretariat (UKIFS)
- The UK as a centre of excellence for education, training and qualifications in financial and professional services
- Dispute resolution services such as litigation, mediation and arbitration available in the UK.