Legal excellence, internationally renowned: UK legal service...
The important economic contribution of the UK legal services sector is underlined in the latest TheC...
The UK has a strong reputation as the leading global centre for international legal services and dispute resolution which underpins the country’s position as the world’s leading financial centre. Domestically, we identify opportunities for our members to provide thought leadership on the development of the sector. Internationally, we work with both the UK and overseas governments at central, regional and local levels, to promote the wealth of expertise in UK-based firms.
The UK-based legal services sector makes a significant contribution to the UK economy. It employs 342,000 people, two thirds of whom are based outside London. It has nearly doubled its trade surplus over the past decade to £4.4bn in 2017, which helps to partially offset the UK’s trade in goods deficit.
We are the sector’s most senior practitioner body. Our members are experts in their field and include solicitors, barristers, in-house counsel, or work for professional bodies.
- The provision of a strategic response to UK, European and global developments which have the potential to impact both positively and negatively on the UK legal services sector.
- Producing an annual legal services report in conjunction with members and stakeholders. The report has become a core briefing for ministers and is recognised as a one-stop shop for information.
- Building initiatives to maintain the leading global position of London as a centre for all forms of dispute resolution.
- Formulating the sector’s trade and investment policy priorities for key markets with support from our Liberalisation of Trade in Services (LOTIS) committee.
- Providing a senior, strategic reference point for our legal activities and projects with our other TheCityUK groups.
- Developing relations with senior decision makers, regulators and business stakeholders.
Following the UK’s decision to leave the EU, we’re working to address the key challenges and opportunities for the sector in the Brexit negotiations. Our paper, ‘The impact of Brexit on the UK-based legal services sector’ discusses the critical issues which could affect the sector’s competitiveness and identifies possible opportunities arising from Brexit.
For more information about the work of the Legal Services Group please contact us.