Reporting to (job title): Managing Director, International
Objective of role: This senior managerial role will play a key part in supporting the growth and development of TheCityUK and contributing to the delivery of our future vision for the industry. The geographical responsibilities of the role cover three of our seven international priority markets.
Direct Reports: Executive, Asia Pacific
Key Activities & Responsibilities
International policy is set by the Board of TheCityUK and implemented through the International Trade and Investment Group (ITIG).
Asia Pacific Programme Delivery
- Recommend policy for and lead on TheCityUK’s programme of work for Asia Pacific
- Ensure the objectives of TheCityUK’s international strategy are delivered successfully with a focus on the relevant region/group of countries and/or policy areas.
- Manage the programme and delivery of the relevant Market Advisory Groups (MAGs) that steer TheCityUK’s work in the region, including drafting agendas and papers with the Group Chairs and where relevant key partners and stake holders.
- Take responsibility for delivering projects and programmes which help further the commercial interests of our members in defined countries and regions through developing specific, targeted and measurable policy proposals and promotional activities.
- Enhance our network of contacts and relations within member firms so to ensure their commercial plans drive the engagement strategy in the specific country and Engage and service members by providing them with an agreed set of content through geographic and sectoral sub-committees.
- Establish and manage a network of stakeholders as appropriate to support ongoing policy work and the senior level international relationships of TheCityUK.
- Display a deep understanding of the political, economic, and business issues that affect the successful delivery of our strategies and policies – and demonstrate clear sighted business understanding of what enablers could be brought to bear.
- Work with the Managing Director and others on the production of key policy This involves managing the production process and coordinating contents from the MAGs and others in responding to government consultations, consulting colleagues, members and partners to produce policy papers and develop discussion papers.
- Provide briefings for senior staff and members ahead of major delegations and
- Grow our network of contacts and relations at the appropriate levels of Government, governmental bodies and public authorities in the UK and in the identified countries and regions. Build effective relationships with the committee chairs, committee members and key government, industry contacts and related stakeholders.
- Support TheCityUK’s ongoing strategic partnerships with government bodies to develop an agenda which builds towards & influences the relevant Government programmes of Joint Economic Trade Committees (JETCO), Economic Financial Dialogues (EFD) and Free Trade Agreements (FTA) negotiations, as well as ensure TheCityUK’s contribution to inward & outward Ministerial visits, Lord Mayor’s visits and VIP meetings is maximised.
- Lead, manage and support TheCityUK’s input into HMG’s India UK Financial services Partnership Give clear policy direction collating input drawn from our members key partners and other stockholders.
- Be the lead member for the China MAG Secretariat, working closely and cordially with COLC and CBBC partners, setting agendas and directing policy issues.
- Where necessary visit geographical markets in pursuit of TheCityUK
The International Trade and Investment team works closely with other teams across the organisation. The job holder will work collaboratively and in project teams with colleagues to:
- Identify and create policy positions that enhance the MAG
- Identify key industry stakeholders and partners linked to assigned MAGs including government, trade associations, promotional bodies, business councils, chambers of commerce and other commercial organisations (both domestic and international).
- Conduct regular review sessions with key government stakeholders across all relevant departments, & with TheCityUK’s network of strategic relationships and other stakeholders whose activities could impact MAG strategic planning.
- Identify appropriate new MAG members and refer to
- Collaborate with the MIT team on identifying potential sponsorship opportunities
- Undertake relationship management meetings in conjunction with the MIT team to ensure member interests are addressed.
- Scope out and deliver a programme of activities for each MAG and work with the Comms team on relevant Examples include an annual Conference and Dinner, roundtable events, economic conferences, meetings with UK Heads of Missions and other Diplomatic/DIT staff and their London counterparts.
- Work with the Comms team to provide reports on specific events for TheCityUK website and other marketing/ communications material as required.
- Ensure mailing lists for news and opportunities are up to date on CRM.
- Prepare budget forecasts for events & visits programme and manage to agreed budgets for individual events & visits.
- Effective management of the Executive, Asia Pacific ensuring the job holder works to the required standards and within the agreed terms and conditions of TheCityUK. Gives clear direction, ensures the Executive has appropriate and relevant job description, objectives and is reviewed and appraised in accordance TheCityUK procedures.
Maintaining Operational and Company Standards
- Promote the best interests of TheCityUK and its members at all
- Support the organisations goals and values
- Encourage and drive quality and continuous improvement of TheCityUK services to its
- Undertake any other duties which may reasonably be requested and are commensurate with the post.
Key Relationships & Interfaces
- Managing Director International Trade and Investment
- CEO of TheCityUK
- TheCityUK Leadership Team
- Colleagues in TheCityUK business areas
- Senior Individuals in Member firms
- MAG Chair & Deputy Chairs
- HM Government
- The City of London Corporation
- The China-Britain Business Council
- Other related trade associations and professional bodies
- Other promotional bodies
- UK Diplomatic Missions
- Diplomatic Missions in London
- Media as required (in collaboration with COM)
- Previous experience of working with the region is desirable but not
- Strong project management skills to deliver programmes on time, to requirements and on
- Extensive experience & sound knowledge of key issues, challenges & opportunities in financial & professional services and trade & investment promotion both internationally and in the UK.
- A demonstrable commercial outlook and have an understanding of working in diverse cultural environments.
- A track record of balancing potentially competing interests, providing solutions to complex scenarios & delivering value-added outputs & outcomes.
- Experience in managing relationships with senior financial and related professional services industry stakeholders.
- An understanding of membership and/or trade
- Knowledge of key industry bodies and organisations involved in the overseas promotion of UK-based financial and related professional services.
- Experience of working with government bodies and committees in the UK and overseas
- Strong verbal and written communications skills to be able to create and develop strategies and co-ordinate input from multiple sources.
- A team player approach to issues, flexibility, enthusiasm, imagination, diplomacy and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Educated to Degree Level/relevant experience
To apply for this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, alternately you can apply on LinkedIn here.
Values at TheCityUK
These core set of values are essential for effective performance in our company and provides a common purpose as to how we deliver our work on a daily basis:
To find out more about our values and the standards of behaviour, please visit our About us page.
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. We champion and support the success of the ecosystem, and thereby our members, promoting policies in the UK, across Europe and internationally that drive competitiveness, support job creation and enable long-term economic growth. The industry contributes over 12% of the UK’s total economic output and employs nearly 2.5 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London, across the country’s regions and nations. It is the UK’s largest net exporting industry and generates a trade surplus exceeding that of all other net exporting industries combined. It is also the largest taxpayer and makes a real difference to people in their daily lives, helping them save for the future, buy a home, invest in a business and protect and manage risk.
TheCityUK is committed to equal opportunities for all applicants regardless of race, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation or gender.
We are proud to be a disability confident committed employer and, as such, all disabled applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job as set out in the job description and person specification will be guaranteed an interview. Please advise at application stage or discuss in more detail at email@example.com