Reporting to: Managing Director, International
Objective of the role: This senior role will play a key part in supporting the growth and development of TheCityUK and contributing to the delivery of our future vision for the industry.
Dimensions of the role: The role sits in the International Trade and Investment (ITI) Team and is focused on priority markets across Eurasia, Middle East and Africa.
Direct report: Graduate Researcher
Key activities and responsibilities
This role is responsible for developing and delivering the work of TheCityUK across priority markets in Eurasia, Middle East and Africa and working with the ITI Team to support the delivery of the International Strategy to the benefit of members and the wider financial and related professional industries ecosystem.
This role sits within the wider ITI team which is collectively working to deliver the international strategy set by TheCityUK International Trade and Investment Group (ITIG). It will also work closely with Market Advisory Groups covering the EMEA region which comprise senior representatives from our member firms.
The role has the following responsibilities:
- Ensure the objectives of TheCityUK’s international strategy are delivered successfully with a particular focus on the EMEA region.
- Work with members, regulators and Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) representatives, as well as with counterparts in key markets, to identify how to strengthen regional and bilateral trade and investment ties through policy engagement, regulatory cooperation and business networking, with the goal of delivering enhanced commercial benefits for our members.
- Build effective relationships with the relevant Market Advisory Group (MAG) chairs and members and provide the secretariat services for the MAG/s. MAGs comprise senior representatives of member firms and other key stakeholders with an interest in priority markets across EMEA. The MAGs provide strategic advice on areas of opportunity and market frictions, working with TheCityUK to articulate issues and solutions, advocate for change and support implementation.
- Work with the Head, International Development to identify opportunities to bid for and deliver HMG funded projects and programmes in priority markets across EMEA which support the HMG’s policy objectives and further the commercial interests of our members. This will be achieved by building a network of strong contacts across the priority markets in EMEA, working with members, HMG and partner countries to scope project opportunities and develop specific, targeted and measurable policy proposals and recommendations, undertake advocacy to help deliver policy outcomes and support promotional activities.
- Grow our network of contacts and relations at the appropriate levels of Government and public authorities in the UK and in the identified countries and regions.
- Enhance our network of contacts and relations within member firms to ensure their commercial plans inform the engagement strategy in the specific country and region.
- Display a deep understanding of the political, economic, and business issues that affect the successful delivery of the international strategy – and demonstrate clear sighted business understanding of what enablers could be brought to bear.
- Develop an agenda which builds towards and influences the government’s programme of engagement in the region including Joint Economic Trade Committees (JETCO), Financial Dialogues (FD), and Free Trade Agreements (FTA) negotiations, as well as ensure TheCityUK’s contribution to inward and outward VIP visits is maximised.
The International Team works closely and collaboratively with other teams across the organisation. The role will work in teams with colleagues to:
- Identify and create policy positions that progress the MAG objectives and goals.
- Partner with key industry stakeholders and partners linked to MAGs including government, trade associations, promotional bodies, business councils, chambers of commerce and other commercial organisations (both domestic and international) to deliver agreed outcomes.
- Conduct regular review sessions with key government stakeholders and other stakeholders to inform MAG strategic planning.
- Identify appropriate new MAG members and refer to the Member Insight Team (MIT). Assist with follow up, as required.
- Collaborate with the MIT team on identifying potential sponsorship opportunities
- Undertake relationship management meetings in conjunction with the MIT team to ensure member interests are addressed.
- Scope out and deliver a programme of activities for each MAG and work with the Communications and Marketing Team (COM) team to design and deliver relevant events. Examples include roundtable events, economic conferences, meetings with UK Heads of Missions and other Diplomatic/UKTI staff and their London counterparts.
- Provide briefings for members ahead of major delegations and events.
Maintaining Operational and Company Standards
- Promote the best interests of TheCityUK and its members at all times.
- Support the organisations goals and values.
- Encourage and drive quality and continuous improvement of TheCityUK services to its members.
Build and maintain relationships with members, partners and TheCityUK’s governance bodies.
- Provide regular input for TheCityUK website and other marketing/communications material as required.
- Ensure mailing lists for news and opportunities are up to date on CRM.
- Prepare budget forecasts for events & visits programme and manage to agreed budgets for individual events & visits.
- Respond to the business priorities of the members.
- Undertake any other duties which ay reasonably be requested and are commensurate with the post.
- Where necessary visit geographical markets in pursuit of TheCityUK interests.
Key Relationships & Interfaces
- CEO of TheCityUK.
- TheCityUK Leadership Team.
- Colleagues in TheCityUK.
- Senior Individuals in Member firms.
- MAG Chair.
- HM Government and regulators.
- The City of London Corporation colleagues and equivalents at the major sector trade associations.
- Other related trade associations and professional bodies in the UK and across the EMEA region.
- Other promotional bodies.
- UK Diplomatic Missions in the EMEA region.
- Diplomatic Missions representing priority markets in EMEA in the UK.
- Media as required (in collaboration with Corporate Communications only).
- Sound knowledge of the key issues, challenges and opportunities facing the financial & related professional services industry internationally.
- Demonstrated understanding of trade and investment policy and regulatory issues both internationally and in the UK.
- A commercial outlook and ability to deliver value-added outputs & outcomes.
- Experience in managing relationships with senior business representatives.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills including the ability to create and develop strategies and co-ordinate input from multiple sources.
- A track record of balancing competing priorities and providing solutions to complex scenarios.
- An understanding of membership and/or trade organisations.
- Knowledge of key industry bodies and organisations involved in the overseas promotion of UK-based financial and related professional services.
- Experience of working with government bodies in the UK and overseas.
- A team player who brings flexibility, enthusiasm, imagination, diplomacy and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- A strong understanding of working in diverse cultural environments and a commitment to diversity & inclusion.
To apply for this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, apply on LinkedIn click here.
Values at TheCityUK
These core set of values are essential for effective performance in our company and provides a common purpose as to how we deliver our work on a daily basis.
To find out more about our values and the standards of behaviour, please visit our webpage www.thecityuk.com
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. We champion and support the success of the ecosystem, and thereby our members, promoting policies in the UK and internationally that drive competitiveness, support job creation and ensure long-term economic growth. The industry contributes 12% of the UK’s total economic output and employs nearly 2.5 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London. It is the UK’s largest net exporting industry and generates a trade surplus exceeding that of all other net exporting industries combined. It is also the largest taxpayer, and makes a real difference to people in their daily lives, helping them save for the future, buy a home, invest in a business and protect and manage risk.
TheCityUK is committed to equal opportunities for all applicants regardless of race, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation or gender. We are proud to be a disability confident committed employer and, as such, all disabled applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job as set out in the job description and person specification will be guaranteed an interview. Please advise at application stage or discuss in more detail at email@example.com