Reporting to: Head, Asia Pacific
Objective of role:
- Work with the Head, Asia Pacific in developing an agenda which sets the strategic direction for the industry’s engagement with Asia Pacific markets, including influencing through appropriate ministerial and business dialogues, trade and investment negotiations and other bilateral activities.
- Deputise for the Head, Asia Pacific as necessary and lead on TheCityUK’s ASEAN work programme.
- Engage members, including through TheCityUK’s Market Advisory Groups (MAGs), to help drive a focused advocacy programme for the region that delivers for the industry.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
International priorities are set by the Board of TheCityUK and implemented through the International Trade and Investment Group (ITIG). The briefings and other collateral we produce and which contain our policies for priority countries and sectors are recognised and used by HM Government as the industry brief.
Working with the Head, Asia Pacific, the job holder will (in liaison with the appropriate TheCityUK teams):
- Work with the Head, Asia Pacific to develop TheCityUK’s international strategy for the Asia Pacific region and ensure its objectives are delivered successfully, including undertaking specific research and projects and contributing to the development of policy thinking and development.
- Possess a good understanding of the political, economic, and business issues that affect the successful delivery of the strategy and demonstrate clear-sighted business understanding of what networks need to be developed, issues need to be progressed and enablers could be brought to bear.
- Develop an agenda which builds towards and influences HM Government’s programme of bilateral and multilateral dialogues, and trade and investment negotiations with Asia Pacific markets, as well as supporting TheCityUK’s contribution to inward and outward Ministerial and VIP meetings.
- Deliver projects and programmes which develop financial and related professional services synergies between the UK and priority Asia Pacific markets in order to position the UK as a partner of choice and further the commercial interests of our members in the region. This includes through developing and progressing policy proposals, dialogue and promotional activities through the coordination of expert groups of industry practitioners as appropriate.
- Grow our network of contacts and relations at the appropriate levels of government, governmental bodies and public authorities in the UK and in the Asia Pacific region, including through diplomatic networks in the UK and in market (e.g. economic and financial ministries, central banks, regulatory authorities, business chambers, key think-tanks and other policy makers or influencers of policy).
- Provide secretariat support for TheCityUK’s ASEAN MAG, Islamic Finance Advisory Group and other expert committees as agreed with the Head, Asia Pacific, including briefing the chair, drafting agendas and papers for discussion, organising meetings and taking minutes.
- Deputise for the Head, Asia Pacific at meetings or other events as Provide briefings for senior colleagues in advance of high-level
- Work with the Head, Asia Pacific, Corporate Communications team and others on the production of key pieces of collateral. This can involve drafting responses to government consultations and parliamentary inquiries and coordinating content from working.
- Ensure that TheCityUK’s Asia Pacific activity is aligned with all other organisational priorities including TheCityUK’s international strategy and wider policy and public affairs objectives.
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably
Maintaining Operational and Company Standards
- Promote the best interests of TheCityUK and its members at all times.
- Support the organisation’s goals and values of integrity, professionalism and duty of care to
all stakeholders interacting with TheCityUK.
- Encourage and drive quality and continuous improvement of TheCityUK services to its members.
- Represent the core values of the organisation at all times.
- Build and maintain relationships with members and partners.
- Liaise with external stakeholders and other bodies as required.
- Work with the Member Insight team to provide reports on specific events in geographical area for TheCityUK website and other marketing/communications material as required.
- Undertake any other duties which may reasonably be requested and are commensurate with the post.
Key Relationships & Interfaces
- TheCityUK’s CEO
- TheCityUK’s Leadership Team
- TheCityUK International Team, Public Affairs Team, Policy Team, Member Insight Team, Corporate Communications team and others across the organisation as required
- Other colleagues as appropriate including secondees, retained agencies and contractors
- Chairs and members of key TheCityUK committees
- Key contacts within member organisations
- City of London Corporation
- HM Government, including HM Treasury, the Department for International Trade and the FCDO
- Other related trade associations, professional bodies and promotional organisations
- UK Diplomatic Missions and Diplomatic Missions in London
- Business and government bodies in the Asia Pacific region
- Highly organised and focused self-starter who can further a policy and advocacy agenda, prioritise tasks, and pay attention to detail when executing them.
- Understanding of and interest in financial services, trade and investment, and public policy both internationally and in the UK.
- Excellent knowledge of and keen interest in the economic, political and business environment in the Asia Pacific region.
- Demonstrable experience of drafting policy positions, responding to government and/or regulatory consultations/inquiries.
- Strong administrative and organisational skills to support committees and other senior member forums.
- Good project management skills and experience delivering complex programmes on time, to requirements and on budget.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Strong verbal communications skills to be able to communicate persuasively.
- A track record of undertaking consultation, balancing potentially competing interests, providing solutions to complex scenarios, and delivering value-added outputs and outcomes.
- Experience in managing relationships with senior stakeholders and strong diplomatic skills.
- A team player approach to issues, demonstrating flexibility, enthusiasm and imagination, and takes responsibility and ownership.
- Degree educated in a relevant field (e.g. finance, economics, law, politics, international relations etc.).
- Willingness to travel overseas as required.
- Career experience working on UK and Asia Pacific financial and professional services policy issues and/or advocacy, whether in industry, trade associations or government.
- Experience working in diverse cultural environments.
- Experience working for a membership and/or trade organisation and engaging with a broad range of interlocutors across government, industry, civil society, press and academia.
TheCityUK office is a small and close-knit team with a flexible approach to tasks and responsibilities. It is essential that the candidate appreciates this and can work well in this environment.
To apply for this role, please contact email@example.com, alternately you can apply on LinkedIn here.
Values at TheCityUK
These core set of values are essential for effective performance in our company and provides a common purpose as to how we deliver our work on a daily basis:
To find out more about our values and the standards of behaviour, please visit our About us page.
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. We champion and support the success of the ecosystem, and thereby our members, promoting policies in the UK, across Europe and internationally that drive competitiveness, support job creation and ensure long-term economic growth. The industry contributes 12% of the UK’s total economic output and employs over 2.2 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London. It is UK’s largest net exporting industry and generates a trade surplus exceeding that of all other net exporting industries combined. It is also the largest taxpayer, and makes a real difference to people in their daily lives, helping them save for the future, buy a home, invest in a business and protect and manage risk.@TheCityUK.
TheCityUK is committed to equal opportunities for all applicants regardless of race, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation or gender. We are proud to be a disability confident committed employer and, as such, all disabled applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job as set out in the job description and person specification will be guaranteed an interview. Please advise at application stage or discuss in more detail at firstname.lastname@example.org