Job title: Senior Executive, EU Public Affairs
Reporting to (job title): Head of Public Affairs
Objective of role: Support the Head of Public Affairs to deliver a programme of engagement with senior policymakers and stakeholders in Brussels and EU Member States, reflecting TheCityUK’s policy priorities.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- To work with the Head of Public Affairs to develop and deliver TheCityUK’s engagement programme with the EU, and EU member state policymakers and stakeholders, to highlight the UK's role as Europe's financial centre, and the positions of TheCityUK and its members.
- Work collaboratively across TheCityUK, and with the City of London Corporation, to deliver a programme of engagement and meeting schedule across the year, including prioritising important member states.
- Liaise with the City of London Corporation – engaging TheCityUK colleagues and members where required – to deliver a joint programme of activity.
- Support the preparation for bilateral country dialogues (for example the Anglo-Italian and Anglo-Dutch dialogues), preparing agendas for meetings and ensuring the dialogue chairs are engaged and briefed.
- Develop ongoing relationships with key stakeholders within member states, including government, representatives of the financial and related professional services industry, EU corporates and any other relevant stakeholders that should be considered as part of TheCityUK activity.
- Ensure members and relevant trade associations are updated and included in TheCityUK’s EU engagement activity as appropriate.
- Work with the Head of Public Affairs to ensure TheCityUK research, reports and key messages are included as part of the organisation’s engagement, and in briefings, including by liaising with relevant stakeholders.
- Support the progress of TheCityUK’s EU engagement activity across TheCityUK and to committees and meetings as required.
- Ensure this activity is aligned with all other TheCityUK work including UK, regions and nations, and international public affairs and policy work.
Key Relationships & Interfaces
- TheCityUK’s CEO.
- TheCityUK’s Leadership Team.
- TheCityUK Public Affairs Team, Policy Team, Member Insight team, Corporate Communications Team and teams across the organisation as required.
- Members of the Public Affairs Group, EU Strategy Group and TheCityUK members.
- Policymakers and political office staff as relevant.
- Key contacts within relevant trade associations.
- Key industry bodies and individuals.
- Understanding of and interest in financial markets and products, economics and public policy.
- 'Self-starting'/prioritising tasks/attention to detail/conscientious/takes responsibility and ownership.
- Good influencing and excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to network, develop relationships and work with senior individuals across a range of organisations.
- Willingness to develop in-depth knowledge of policy matters.
- Extensive and preferably direct knowledge and experience of workings of EU political systems and legislative processes.
- Finely honed ability to influence.
- Strategic sense in seeing how work fits into the ‘bigger picture’.
- Highly organised and focused self-starter.
- Confident in dealing with stakeholders at all levels.
- Educated to degree level/or equivalent experience.
- Academic or career experience in financial services or relevant public affairs/industry experience.
This role is based in London but will involve travel across the EU. TheCityUK office is a small and close-knit team with a flexible approach to tasks and responsibilities. It is essential that the candidate appreciates this and can work well in this environment.
To apply for this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, to apply on LinkedIn please click here.
Values at TheCityUK
These core set of values are essential for effective performance in our company and provides a common purpose as to how we deliver our work on a daily basis.
To find out more about our values and the standards of behaviour, please visit our About us page.
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. We champion and support the success of the ecosystem, and thereby our members, promoting policies in the UK, across Europe and internationally that drive competitiveness, support job creation and ensure long-term economic growth. The industry contributes over 10% of the UK’s total economic output and employs 2.3 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London. It is the largest tax payer, the biggest exporting industry, generates a trade surplus almost equivalent to all other net exporting industries combined. It also makes a real difference to people in their daily lives, helping them save for the future, buy a home, invest in a business and protect and manage risk. @TheCityUK.