Reporting to: Head, Europe
Objective of role: Work with the Head, Europe to influence policymakers and business leaders in the EU and in key markets across Europe so that they understand, support and help deliver TheCityUK’s policy priorities.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Assist the Head, Europe in developing the policy priorities of the UK-based financial and related professional services towards the EU and other priority European markets. This will include supporting the work of the Swiss Market Advisory Group with the Mutual Recognition Agreement and the Free Trade Agreement negotiations and working with the Europe Market Advisory Group on its workstreams.
- Support the Head, Europe in developing and delivering TheCityUK’s engagement programme with the EU and other priority European markets. There will be a particular focus on supporting work with Switzerland around the Mutual Recognition Agreement and Free Trade Agreement negotiations. The programme will help stakeholders (whether based in the UK or the rest of Europe) understand the priorities of the UK-based financial and related professional services and the benefits of co-operation on issues relevant to the industry.
- Provide a secretariat function for the International Regulatory Strategy Group’s European Regulatory Working Group. The group provides technical guidance on UK/EU regulatory co-operation and divergence.
- Provide a secretariat function for bilateral dialogues between the UK and EU Member States, including the Anglo-Italian, Anglo-Dutch and Anglo-German financial dialogues. Duties will include setting agendas for the dialogues and ensuring that the Co-Chairs are briefed to use the dialogues to advance industry objectives.
- Project manage TheCityUK’s annual International Conference, working with teams across the organisation, including ITI, Events, Communications and Public Affairs, to deliver this flagship event that profiles TheCityUK’s international policy priorities.
- Work with the ITI Team to organise Ambassador Roundtable events for members that allow UK Ambassadors to European counties and senior EU representatives to brief TheCityUK members on policy priorities and offer members opportunities to share insights with these senior decision makers.
- Ensure members, trade associations and the City of London Corporation are updated and included in TheCityUK’s European engagement activity as appropriate.
- Ensure that TheCityUK’s European activity is aligned with all other organisational priorities including TheCityUK’s international strategy, UK and Regions & Nations workstreams, and wider policy and public affairs objectives.
- Assist in managing (and briefing for) TheCityUK’s participation in bodies set up under the EU-UK TCA, including the Domestic Advisory Group (DAG) and the Civil Society Forum (CSF).
Key Relationships & Interfaces
- TheCityUK’s CEO
- TheCityUK’s Leadership Team
- TheCityUK International Team, Public Affairs team, Policy Team, Member Insight Team, Corporate Communications team and others across the organisation as required.
- Members of the IRSG EU Co-ordination Group
- Members of the Anglo-Dutch, Anglo-German, Anglo-Italian and any other dialogues
- TheCityUK members
- Policymakers, policy influencers and business stakeholders in Brussels and EU Member States
- Key contacts within relevant UK and EU trade associations and colleagues at the City of London Corporation.
- Strong administrative and organisational skills to support committees and other senior member forums
- Good project management skills and a strong partnership approach with the Events team and other members of TheCityUK to ensure the successful delivery of the International Conference
- Highly organised and focused self-starter who can further a policy and advocacy agenda, prioritise tasks, and pay attention to detail when executing them
- Good influencing skills, including excellent written and speaking abilities
- Understanding of and interest in financial services, financial regulation, and public policy
- Extensive and preferably direct knowledge and experience of workings of EU political systems and legislative processes and those of key markets within Europe such as Switzerland, Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands.
- Ability to develop relationships and work with senior individuals across a range of organisations
- Willingness to develop in-depth knowledge of policy and financial regulatory matters
- Strategic awareness of how a given workstream relates to the organisation’s wider priorities
- Educated to degree level/or equivalent experience.
- Career experience working on UK and EU financial and professional services policy issues and/or advocacy, whether in industry, trade associations, or government.
- Proficiency in French or German.
This role is based in London but will involve travel across Europe. TheCityUK office is a small and close-knit team with a flexible approach to tasks and responsibilities. It is essential that the candidate appreciates this and can work well in this environment.
To apply for this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply on LinkedIn please click here.
Values at TheCityUK
These core set of values are essential for effective performance in our company and provides a common purpose as to how we deliver our work on a daily basis:
To find out more about our values and the standards of behaviour, please visit our About us page.
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. We champion and support the success of the ecosystem, and thereby our members, promoting policies in the UK, across Europe and internationally that drive competitiveness, support job creation and ensure long-term economic growth. The industry contributes 12% of the UK’s total economic output and employs over 2.2 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London. It is UK’s largest net exporting industry and generates a trade surplus exceeding that of all other net exporting industries combined. It is also the largest taxpayer, and makes a real difference to people in their daily lives, helping them save for the future, buy a home, invest in a business and protect and manage risk. @TheCityUK.
TheCityUK is committed to equal opportunities for all applicants regardless of race, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation or gender. We are proud to be a disability confident committed employer and, as such, all disabled applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job as set out in the job description and person specification will be guaranteed an interview. Please advise at application stage or discuss in more detail at email@example.com