Reporting to (job title): Head of Policy
Objective of role: To assist the Head of Policy (HoP) in developing and delivering TheCityUK’s policy programme, in support of TheCityUK’s objective to promote the competitiveness of the UK financial and related professional services industry and system.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Lead the development and delivery of TheCityUK regulatory policy strategy, work plans, positions, projects, outputs and advocacy activity, as well as International Regulatory Strategy Group (IRSG) outputs. This includes leading the project planning and production process; leading co-ordination of content from members, colleagues, stakeholders and experts; leading production of TheCityUK responses to government and regulator consultations on the regulatory environment; interviewing and working with senior members to produce policy positions; leading the development of policy papers and reports; managing the internal and member sign off process for outputs; planning and coordinating with communications, public affairs and events colleagues on publication, media/social media and advocacy activities.
- Lead all TheCityUK policy work on UK regulation, regulators and the UK’s regulatory competitiveness including: the regulatory framework and replacement of EU rules with a new UK rule framework, regulatory policy, proposed rule changes, the evolving approach to outcomes-based regulation, regulators’ rule review frameworks, regulators’ cost benefit analysis of regulation, regulatory reporting and metrics, regulatory culture, scrutiny and accountability of regulators, operational efficiency of the regulators, regulators’ engagement with industry, the reputation and competitiveness of the UK’s regulatory environment for financial and related professional services.
- Manage and provide policy and secretariat support for senior member Long Term Competitiveness Group and IRSG Lead work with the Chairs of these senior member groups and their support teams to plan and produce meeting agendas and papers, organise meetings, secure and brief speakers, produce the meeting minutes and ensure follow up actions are completed.
- Establish and manage a network of stakeholder relationships as appropriate to the work of the policy committees to support ongoing policy work and the policymaker relationships of senior management.
- Support TheCityUK’s ongoing strategic partnerships with government and regulators.
- Be an active member of the IRSG secretariat to help deliver high quality, coordinated outputs. Deputise for the Head of Policy in the IRSG Secretariat when needed.
- Where relevant, attend events and meetings to represent the work of TheCityUK.
- Provide briefings for senior colleagues and TheCityUK Chair in advance of high-level
- Utilise TheCityUK’s project management framework as
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably
Key Relationships & Interfaces
- TheCityUK’s Executive Committee
- Policy Team
- Economics and Research
- Public Affairs team
- Member Insight team
- International Trade and Investment team
- Communications and Events team
- Other colleagues as appropriate including secondees, retained agencies and contractors
- The FCA, PRA, HM Treasury and other relevant regulators, policy makers, policy influencers and stakeholders
- Chairs and members of TheCityUK Long Term Competitiveness Group and IRSG Council (as well as chairs and members of other TheCityUK and IRSG groups as needed)
- The Corporation of the City of London (CoLC), with a focus on IRSG projects and secretariat
- Key contacts within member organisations and representatives
- Key industry bodies and individuals
- Experience of the UK policymaking and regulatory environment, institutions, and processes - for example including government, industry representative bodies, regulators, think tanks.
- Understanding of and interest in the regulation of financial markets as well as wider economics and public policy.
- Demonstrable experience of taking lead responsibility for the development and delivery of policy positions, papers, reports, and policy influencing activity, including responding to government and/or regulatory consultations/inquiries.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
- Strong influencing and communications skills.
- Self-starter, prioritises tasks, well organised, plans ahead and delivers to deadlines, strong attention to detail, conscientious, takes responsibility and ownership.
- Ability to network, develop relationships and work with senior individuals across a range of organisations.
- Experience / understanding / interest in financial markets, products, financial sector organisations, economics.
- Degree educated in a field relevant to financial and related professional services (e.g. finance, economics, law, etc.).
To apply for this role, please contact email@example.com, alternately you can apply on LinkedIn here.
Values at TheCityUK
These core set of values are essential for effective performance in our company and provides a common purpose as to how we deliver our work on a daily basis:
To find out more about our values and the standards of behaviour, please visit our About us page.
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. We champion and support the success of the ecosystem, and thereby our members, promoting policies in the UK, across Europe and internationally that drive competitiveness, support job creation and enable long-term economic growth. The industry contributes over 12% of the UK’s total economic output and employs nearly 2.5 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London, across the country’s regions and nations. It is the UK’s largest net exporting industry and generates a trade surplus exceeding that of all other net exporting industries combined. It is also the largest taxpayer and makes a real difference to people in their daily lives, helping them save for the future, buy a home, invest in a business and protect and manage risk.
TheCityUK is committed to equal opportunities for all applicants regardless of race, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation or gender.
We are proud to be a disability confident committed employer and, as such, all disabled applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job as set out in the job description and person specification will be guaranteed an interview. Please advise at application stage or discuss in more detail at firstname.lastname@example.org