Objective of role: To lead on legal services work of TheCityUK, its legal services group, to lead on policy areas pertinent to related professional services and to lead on diversity and inclusion, and other policy areas where required.
Reporting to (job title): Head of Policy
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Work with the Head of Policy to ensure that the objectives of the policy team are delivered.
- Lead TheCityUK’s work on legal and professional services, with a particular focus on ensuring the continued international competitiveness of the UK’s legal services sector and the vital role the law and legal services plays in the UK’s prosperity. This includes production of TheCityUK’s annual legal services report and act as secretariat to TheCityUK's Legal Services Group of member experts.
- Maintain and grow our key contact base with MoJ, BEIS, HMT and other government departments related to the services sector.
- Scope and deliver greater strategic focus on related professional services and to act as the focal point for issues and activity across TheCityUK work streams.
- Lead the policy work of TheCityUK on diversity and inclusion and other policy areas.
- Build effective relationships with relevant committee chairs and members.
- Development of TheCityUK submissions to HM Government consultations and Parliamentary inquiries.
- Extensive cross-team working with the following teams: Corporate Communications, Public Affairs, International and Member Insight.
Key Relationships & Interfaces
TheCityUK Leadership team and colleagues in the following teams: Corporate Communications, Public Affairs, Policy and Member Insight.
Senior members, including group and committee chairs, HM Government diplomatic missions in London, City of London Corporation, trade associations and professional bodies.
- Strong project management skills to deliver programmes and outputs on time, to requirements and on budget.
- Extensive experience & sound knowledge of key issues, challenges & opportunities in financial & related professional services.
- Display a deep understanding of the political, economic, and business issues that affect the successful delivery of the strategy – and demonstrate clear sighted business understanding of what enablers could be brought to bear.
- A demonstrable commercial outlook, be a practitioner, and have an understanding of working in diverse cultural environments.
- A track record of balancing potentially competing interests, providing solutions to complexscenarios & delivering value-added outputs & outcomes.
- Experience in managing relationships with senior financial and related professional services industry stakeholders.
- An understanding of membership and/or trade organisations, particularly those involved in the UK-based financial and related professional services industry.
- Experience of working with government bodies and committees in the UK.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills to be able to create and develop strategies and co-ordinate input from multiple sources.
- A team player approach to issues, flexibility, enthusiasm, imagination, diplomacy and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Educated to Degree Level/relevant experience.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
To apply for this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, apply on LinkedIn here.
Values at TheCityUK
These core set of values are essential for effective performance in our company and provides a common purpose as to how we deliver our work on a daily basis.
To find out more about our values and the standards of behaviour, please visit our webpage www.thecityuk.com
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. We champion and support the success of the ecosystem, and thereby our members, promoting policies in the UK, across Europe and internationally that drive competitiveness, support job creation and ensure long-term economic growth. The industry contributes 12% of the UK’s total economic output and employs over 2.2 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London. It is UK’s largest net exporting industry and generates a trade surplus exceeding that of all other net exporting industries combined. It is also the largest taxpayer, and makes a real difference to people in their daily lives, helping them save for the future, buy a home, invest in a business and protect and manage risk. @TheCityUK.
TheCityUK is committed to equal opportunities for all applicants regardless of race, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation or gender. We are proud to be a disability confident committed employer and, as such, all disabled applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job as set out in the job description and person specification will be guaranteed an interview. Please advise at application stage or discuss in more detail at email@example.com