Reporting to: Chief Economist & Head of Research.
Objective of role: Work with the Chief Economist & Head of Research for a period of 3 months to review and update flagship economic research on the contribution of the financial and related professional services industry to UK subnational economies.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Working in consultation with the Chief Economist & Head of Research, review and update the methodology for production of a TheCityUK dataset focused on the contribution of the financial and related professional services industry to UK subnational economies.
- Build on ONS data to produce an updated dataset, including estimating subnational industry GVA.
- Use the dataset to update flagship economic research, including writing new text/economic narrative as needed.
- Assist with post-research report launch activities, including but not limited to input into public relations activity.
- Other duties that may arise in relation to this research.
Key Relationships & Interfaces
• TheCityUK colleagues
• Office for National Statistics analysts (as needed)
- Very strong attention to detail.
- Interest in UK politics and policy; understanding of using economic analysis and data in a political context.
- Organised; able to keep to deadlines while managing competing priorities Key qualifications/skills.
- Previous experience working as an economist.
- Very strong knowledge of the UK economy and UK economic geography.
- Understanding of the financial and professional services industry and its role in the UK economy.
- Quantitative modelling and estimation skills, and/or ability to apply standard macroeconomic analysis techniques to specific sectors.
- Familiarity with official UK economic data sources.
Values at TheCityUK
These core set of values are essential for effective performance in our company and provides a common purpose as to how we deliver our work on a daily basis.
To find out more about our values and the standards of behaviour, please visit our About us page.
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. We champion and support the success of the ecosystem, and thereby our members, promoting policies in the UK, across Europe and internationally that drive competitiveness, support job creation and ensure long-term economic growth. The industry contributes over 10% of the UK’s total economic output and employs 2.3 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London. It is the largest tax payer, the biggest exporting industry, generates a trade surplus almost equivalent to all other net exporting industries combined. It also makes a real difference to people in their daily lives, helping them save for the future, buy a home, invest in a business and protect and manage risk. @TheCityUK.