Job title: Head, Eurasia
Reporting to (job title): Managing Director, External Relations & Strategic Issues
International policy is set by the Board of TheCityUK and implemented through the International Trade and Investment Group (ITIG). Working with the Managing Director, the job holder will (in liaison with the appropriate TheCityUK teams):
• Ensure the objectives of TheCityUK’s international strategy are delivered successfully with a particular focus on the relevant region/group of countries and/or policy areas.
• Take responsibility for delivering projects and programmes which help further the commercial interests of our members in defined countries and regions through developing specific, targeted and measurable policy proposals and promotional activities.
• Grow our network of contacts and relations at the appropriate levels of Government, governmental bodies and public authorities in the UK and in the identified countries and regions.
• Enhance our network of contacts and relations within member firms so as to ensure their commercial plans drive the engagement strategy in the specific country and region.
• Display a deep understanding of the political, economic, and business issues that affect the successful delivery of the strategy – and demonstrate clear sighted business understanding of what enablers could be brought to bear.
• Engage and service members by providing them with an agreed set of content through geographic and sectoral sub-committees.
• Develop an agenda which builds towards & influences the Government’s programme of Joint Economic Trade Committees (JETCO), Economic Financial Dialogues (EFD) and Free Trade Agreements (FTA) negotiations, as well as ensure TheCityUK’s contribution to inward & outward Ministerial and VIP meetings is maximised.
• Build effective relationships with the committee chairs, committee members and key government, industry contacts and related stakeholders.
• To maintain and enhance TheCityUK’s relationships and its on-going MoUs with International Financial Centres (IFCs) in the Eurasia region – and to review where IFC experience in Eurasia could best be developed in the other countries with which TheCityUK engages.
• To monitor HMG or other announcements on regional project funding initiatives (i.e.: Prosperity Fund / Global Britain Fund) and to develop, with the Managing Director, External Relations and Strategic Issues, project proposals as appropriate.
The External Relations & Strategic Issues team works closely other teams across the organisation. The job holder will work collaboratively and in project teams with colleagues to:
• Identify and create policy positions that enhance the Market Advisory Group (MAG) content.
• Identify key industry stakeholders and partners linked to assigned MAGs including government, trade associations, promotional bodies, business councils, chambers of commerce and other commercial organisations (both domestic and international).
• Conduct regular review sessions with key government stakeholders across all relevant departments, & with TheCityUK’s network of strategic relationships and other stakeholders whose activities could impact MAG strategic planning.
• Identify appropriate new MAG members and refer to Member Insight Team (MIT).
• Collaborate with the MIT team on identifying potential sponsorship opportunities.
• Undertake relationship management meetings in conjunction with the MIT team to ensure member interests are addressed.
• Scope out and deliver a programme of activities for each MAG and work with the Corporate Communications team on relevant events. Examples include an annual Conference and Dinner, roundtable events, economic conferences, meetings with UK Heads of Missions and other Diplomatic/UKTI staff and their London counterparts.
• Provide briefings for members ahead of major delegations and events.
Maintaining Operational and Company Standards
• Promote the best interests of TheCityUK and its members at all times.
• Support the organisations goals and values.
• Encourage and drive quality and continuous improvement of TheCityUK services to its members.
Build and maintain relationships with members, partners and TheCityUK’s governance bodies.
Liaise with external stakeholders and other bodies.
Work with the Corporate Communications team to provide reports on specific events for TheCityUK website and other marketing/communications material as required.
Ensure mailing lists for news and opportunities are up to date on the Customer Service Management system.
Work with Corporate Communications team to create and maintain a Member-Only Access area on website, provide relevant content.Prepare budget forecasts for events & visits programme and manage to agreed budgets for individual events & visits.
• Respond to the business priorities of the members.
• Undertake any other duties which may reasonably be requested and are commensurate with the post.
• Where necessary visit geographical markets in pursuit of TheCityUK interests.
• CEO of TheCityUK.
• TheCityUK Leadership Team.
• Colleagues in TheCityUK business areas.
• Senior Individuals in Member firms.
• MAG Chair & Deputy Chairs.
• HM Government.
• Other related trade associations and professional bodies.
• Other promotional bodies and CoLC.
• UK Diplomatic Missions.
• Diplomatic Missions in London.
• Media as required (in collaboration with Corporate Communications).
• Strong project management skills to deliver programmes on time, to requirements and on budget.
• Extensive experience & sound knowledge of key issues, challenges & opportunities in financial & professional services and trade & investment promotion both internationally and in the UK.
• A demonstrable commercial outlook, be a practitioner, and have an understanding of working in diverse cultural environments.
• A track record of balancing potentially competing interests, providing solutions to complex scenarios & delivering value-added outputs & outcomes.
• Experience in managing relationships with senior financial and related professional services industry stakeholders.
• An understanding of membership and/or trade organisations.
• Knowledge of key industry bodies and organisations involved in the overseas promotion of UK-based financial and related professional services.
• Experience of working with government bodies and committees in the UK and overseas.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills to be able to create and develop strategies and co-ordinate input from multiple sources.
• A team player approach to issues, flexibility, enthusiasm, imagination, diplomacy and a ‘can do’ attitude.
• Educated to degree level/relevant experience.
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. In the UK, across Europe and internationally, we promote policies that drive competitiveness, support job creation and ensure long-term economic growth. The industry contributes over 10% of the UK’s total economic output and employs 2.3 million people, with two thirds of these jobs outside London. It is the largest tax payer, the biggest exporting industry and generates a trade surplus almost equivalent to all other net exporting industries combined.
Please apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.