Job title: Public Affairs Manager
Reporting to: Head of Public Affairs
Public Affairs Programme Delivery
• Work with the Head of Public Affairs to deliver TheCityUK’s public affairs and engagement programme.
• Manage the programme and delivery of the Public Affairs Group meetings which steers TheCityUK's work in this area, including drafting agendas and papers in consultation with the Chair of PAG and the Head of Public Affairs.
• Proactively manage an ongoing programme of activity which highlights TheCityUK's role in representing the FRPS industry and the role of the industry and our members in delivering jobs and economic growth - including TheCityUK Annual Conference and Party Conference activity.
• Work with the Head of Public Affairs to set and deliver TheCityUK’s public affairs strategy, ensuring a regular series of events and activity.
• Develop and manage a calendar of public affairs and stakeholder communications which incorporates policy messaging and output from across TheCityUK and ensure relevant audiences receive communications and key messages from TheCityUK – (such as reports produced by the Policy, Economic Research and External Relations and Strategic Issues teams).
• Manage TheCityUK's contacts with political audiences and develop processes to ensure political audiences receive regular communications from TheCityUK.
• Ensure all relevant reports and outputs have a public affairs and stakeholder communications strategy including launch events where relevant, working in conjunction with the Corporate Communications team and policy leads.
• Arrange meetings and other engagement opportunities with policymakers: 1-2-1 meetings, policymaker roundtables, seminars as required.
• Provide briefings for senior managers in advance of meetings with politicians.
• Have good day to day relationships with consultancies and suppliers working with the Head of Public Affairs on day to day management where relevant.
• TheCityUK’s CEO.
• TheCityUK’s Leadership Team, Chief Economist, Public Affairs team, Member Insight team and other colleagues.
• Chairs and members of key committees.
• Political audiences and staff as relevant.
• Key contacts within member organisations and representatives.
• Key industry bodies and individuals.
• Experience of working in a public affairs in an in-house or agency role.
• Understanding of and interest in Westminster and relevant political issues.
• “Self-starting”/prioritising tasks/attention to detail/conscientious/takes responsibility and ownership.
• Excellent influencing and communications skills.
• A collaborative and collegiate style.
• Experience of a client and/or member service environment.
• Ability to network, develop relationships and work with senior individuals across a range of organisations.
• Analytical and writing skills of a high calibre.
• Ability to develop and learn as policy areas develop.
• Good understanding of broader communications and stakeholder engagement skills
• Career experience in a public affairs role.
• Degree in a relevant subject field
This role is based in London but will involve travel elsewhere in the UK. TheCityUK office is a small and close-knit team with a flexible approach to tasks and responsibilities. It is essential that the candidate appreciates and can work within these conditions.
TheCityUK is the industry-led body representing UK-based financial and related professional services. In the UK, across Europe and globally, we promote policies that drive competitiveness, support job creation and ensure long-term economic growth. The industry contributes nearly 10% of the UK's total economic output and employs over 2.3 million people, with two-thirds of these jobs outside London. It is the largest tax payer, the biggest exporting industry and generates a trade surplus greater than all other net exporting industries combined.
Click here to download this job description.
To apply for this role or for more information please contact us here.