Our Japan Market Advisory Group (MAG) works to support and deepen the UK’s relationship in financial and related professional services with Japan.
We bring together senior practitioners from across the UK-based financial and related professional services industry to influence and provide strategic insight, guidance and support to policymakers as they look to strengthen the bilateral trade and investment relationship.
Our Japan MAG is chaired by Daisuke Mototani, Vice Chairman of Nomura Europe Holdings plc and Senior Managing Director of Nomura Holdings Inc.
Priorities of the Japan MAG:
- engaging Japanese industry representatives and policymakers to explore issues of mutual interest and opportunities for collaboration
- building on the UK-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) to enhance financial and related professional services trade between the UK and Japan
- progressing key bilateral work in data, regulatory cooperation and sustainable finance
- working closely with TheCityUK’s Liberalisation of Trade in Services (LOTIS) Committee on the industry’s objectives for trade and investment policy more broadly.
- Held a bilateral business roundtable after the inaugural meeting of the UK-Japan Financial Regulatory Forum in June 2022 to discuss priority policy issues with policymakers and regulators.
- Delivery of the UK-Japan business roundtable supporting the bilateral Financial Dialogue between HM Treasury and the Ministry of Finance in December 2020. The roundtable was organised jointly with FinCity.Tokyo and included 40 business leaders and officials from the UK and Japan.
- Providing oral evidence to the House of Lords International Agreements Sub-Committee on the final text of the UK-Japan CEPA.
- Roundtables with the Japanese Ambassador to the UK and the UK Ambassador to Japan.
- Providing the industry’s priorities for the UK-Japan CEPA to the UK negotiating team, including on data and digital trade, financial services regulatory cooperation, mobility and investment provisions.
For more details about the work of our Japan MAG, please contact us.