Adrian is Chairman of TheCityUK Leadership Council, Manchester Airports Group (aviation), Cadent Gas (utilities) and Porterbrook (railways). Previous roles include:
- Chairman of 3i Group
- Chairman of Anglian Water Group (utilities)
- Chairman of Aviva Group plc (insurance)
- Chairman of Michael Page International plc (recruitment)
- Chairman of London First
- Chairman of British Energy Group plc (utilities)
- Chairman of Friends Provident plc (life insurance)
- Chairman of Cross London Rail Links Ltd (transport)
- Non-Executive Director of Skanksa AB of Stockholm (construction)
- Chairman of Hurricane Exploration plc (energy)
- Deputy Chairman of Network Rail Ltd (railway network authority)
- Deputy Chairman of Partnerships UK plc (public private partnership)
- Deputy Chairman (and SID) of the UK Green Investment Bank (Government sponsored bank providing specialised financing to the clean energy sector)
- Chief Executive of the Treasury Taskforce.
From 1999-2001 he held senior positions connected with the implementation of Government’s policies to expand the use of private finance in the provision of public infrastructure, first as the Chief Executive of the Treasury Taskforce, then as Deputy Chairman of Partnerships UK plc.